Much of the news flying around the blogs these days is the fact that US Airways is not charging exorbitant fuel charges for redemptions on British Airways awards. This was covered pretty extensively in a piece written by The Points Guy. Basically what he did was to price out an award by looking at American Airlines and British Airways and compared the results to US Airways redemptions. For the present, it appears that US Airways redemptions are far more reasonable and affordable than either British Airways or even American (which is still better than BA).
With all of that in mind, it may be time to revisit your thinking on the US Airways MasterCard if you do not already have one. The basic offer has just increased to 40,000 miles on first spend. The $89 yearly fee is not waived… but 40,000 miles for $89 is a good deal.
- Enjoy your first bag checked free on eligible bags for you and up to 4 companions on domestic US Airways operated flights more ›
- Get one companion certificate for up to two guests to travel with you on US Airways operated flights at $99 each, plus taxes and fees more ›
- Take advantage of priority boarding Zone 2 on US Airways operated flights more ›
- Relax with a complimentary US Airways Club day pass more ›
- Check in at the First Class counter more ›
- Earn 10,000 miles toward 2015 Preferred Status when yhou spend $25,000 or more in 2014
However, the benefit I like the most is that when you are booking an award ticket on US Airways, the card gives you a 5,000 mile discount off the amount of award miles needed.
So, if you are wanting to take advantage of a BA award flight that is affordable and have a great credit card in your wallet… then the US Airways MasterCard might be just the one you need!
[The US Airways Premier World MasterCard®]
Disclosure: I do receive a commission if you are approved for a credit card using one of my affiliate links. Thanks so much for your support.