True Deal Mommy Confession: The Blog is 2 Today! Random Thoughts and Lessons Learned
I’m not big on navel-gazing but got my page stats yesterday and realized that I would be at 25x my first month’s page views this month. Seemed as good a time as any to jot down a few thoughts gleaned from two years at the keyboard.
- I’m nowhere and nothing without you. If you’re reading this, I owe you a big hug. Period.
- If you are going to blog, you had better LOVE your topic. If you don’t, it will show.
- Readers can spot a phony ad a mile away! You had better “buy what you are selling”. You don’t have to literally “buy” every item you sell (although Deal Dad might argue that I do!), but you better believe in it before you put fingers to keyboard!
- Ideas are easy. Documenting them? Not so much. I’m getting better and at least now keep a notebook of ideas I want to write about, but the “posts written in my head” now number over 100! It takes discipline to write day after day.
- If Ideas are NOT easy for you, see #2.
- Friends matter, even when your “job” is performed on your couch. Be nice. Help where you can, without expecting help in return. Ask questions (after doing a quick search). Participate in chats. Attend Seminars, happy hours, Dos.
- Twitter. Twitter. Twitter! (This one is for readers, too, not just bloggers. I’ve learned SO much from twitter about travel in general, and won many prizes there, including a $50 groupon gift card just two days ago!).
- Authenticity is important. Colonoscopy? TMI. When I started blogging, I tried being anonymous. It just didn’t work for me. ”The Deal Mommy” and “Dia” are one and the same…to a point. After two years, that blogger/real life line is still a moving target. Some things I see shared by others are “no way!” for me. But I’m sure things I share (pics of the Deal Kids, for example) cross the line for others.
- British Airways IS that horrible. Besides “Deal Mommy”, the #1 way people find my blog is some variation is “complain to British Airways”, a full 9 months after they stranded me in the wrong country.
- Giveaways work. Bull poop is “organic”, and so is the growth my own blog has seen from giving away cool stuff. In fact, I’ll do an anniversary giveaway later in the week! But I won’t do it today, because…
- No one reads your blog on Sundays. So you can do a filler post. Like this one;)
Thanks again for sticking with The Deal Mommy for the last two years, and here’s looking forward to a great future!