I heard a rumor last Saturday morning while at LAX airport that the Starwood Preferred Guest Program is making a change to the Suite Night Award Program of SPG Platinum Preferred Guest. Suite Night Awards are a benefit for SPG Platinum Preferred members to use on either paid or points redemption reservations.
The current benefit from the SPG Terms and Conditions are as follows:
- 8.4.a. Suite Night Awards (50 Eligible Nights). A Platinum Preferred Guest who has 50 Eligible Nights in a Qualifying Period is eligible to receive 10 Suite Night Awards. “Suite Night Awards” may be redeemed for advance confirmable upgrades for select, premium rooms or standard suites on a per room, per night basis, subject to availability.
- i. Suite Night Award upgrades must be requested through the SPG Program website (www.spg.com) or by contacting aCustomer Contact Center no later than 2:00 p.m. (local hotel time) one day prior to arrival. If a request for Suite Night Award upgrade is confirmed, a confirmation email will be to the requesting SPG Member.
- ii. Suite Night Awards may be only be redeemed for upgrades in connection with an Eligible Stay.
- iii. Requests for Suite Night Award upgrades and confirmed Suite Night Award redemptions may be cancelled pursuant to the Suite Night Award cancellation policy on the SPG Program website (www.spg.com).
- iv. Suite Night Awards have expiration dates that may be different than other SPG Program benefits. An eligible SPG Member should check his/her account to confirm the expiration date of his/her Suite Night Awards.
- v. Suite Night Awards may not be redeemed at certain Aloft and Element brand SPG Participating Hotels or at Starwood Vacation Ownership and residential properties.
- vi. Rooms that are eligible for Suite Night Award upgrades vary by SPG Participating Hotel. In general, a standard suite or select premium room as designated by SPG Participating Hotel is eligible depending on availability. Specialty suites, such as presidential, honeymoon or multiple bedroom suites, are not eligible for Suite Night Awards. In some resort locations where these room types are not available, upgraded rooms are based on preferred view, such as pool or ocean view, or room styles offered.
I have earned my 10 Suite Night Award nights last year and successfully used 5 nights at the St. Regis Bali and 5 nights at The Westin Diplomat in Florida. This year I used 5 nights at the St. Regis Princeville and still have 5 more nights sitting in my account. They were set to expire at the end of December, but not anymore. I sent a direct message to SPG via my Twitter account and confirmed the program change:
So there you have it, a positive change to a hotel loyalty program. Suite Night Awards that were set to expire on Dec 31, 2013 are being extended to instead expire on April 30, 2014. If you have any left over Suite Night Awards you can now combine them with your 2014 Suite Nights Awards up to April 30, 2014.
(Hat tip to SP)
If you enjoyed this post and the others on this blog, feel free join those who already follow me on Facebook, or via Twitter @TheMrPickles. You can also sign up to receive free updates via RSS or email in the right hand column of this article.
Download Our FREE App!
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to remove impersonators or personal attacks, threats, profanity, or flat-out offensive comments. By posting here, you are permitting us to edit and republish your comment in all media.
© 2013 TheMrPickles.com