The Barclaycard Dividend Miles MasterCard® Changes to AAdvantage MasterCard®
There had been some speculation in the past as to what would happen with the relationship between US Airways and Barclaycard since the card of choice for American Airlines has typically been the Citi AAdvantage Card. We learned back in January that Barclaycard’s contract with US Airways had been negotiated through 2017 but a date for the branding change had not been set. With the new contracts, Citi remains the combined airline’s exclusive issuer of loyalty cards, and Barclaycard has been allowed to maintain its existing accounts using American’s AAdvantage program branding (more information can be found at Payment Source). However, it will not be until after the full integration of the Frequent Flyer programs at some point in 2015 that Citi will become the sole issuer. At that point, the Barclaycard will be rebranded as an AAdvantage card.
I just received an email tonight which outlined some of the new benefits of the existing Barclaycard, including free checked bags for up to four people on a reservation starting April 30th. Right underneath that announcement was this little banner:
It is great news for those who may have been trying to choose between one card or the other and, as Barclaycard will be continuing their partnership with the New American, it seems that the US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard® will be just as valuable as ever!
Benefits of the Dividend Miles MasterCard® include:
- Earn 2 miles per $1 on US Airways purchases3Earn 1 mile per $1 on purchases everywhere else3
- EXCLUSIVE: Book award flights for 5,000 fewer miles – Award travel starts at just 20,000 miles for cardmembers
- Annual companion certificate good for up to 2 companion tickets at $99 each, plus taxes and fees4
- First class check-in and Zone 2 boarding on all US Airways flights
- One complimentary US Airways Club® day passevery year
- And, beginning on April 30, 2014, free first checked bag for up to four people
If you haven’t applied for the Barclaycard US Airways MasterCard® now might just be the perfect time to do so.
[The US Airways Premier World MasterCard®]
(In the interest of full disclosure I may earn a referral bonus on some of the links on this blog —thanks for your support!)