Optiontown is company that partners with selected airlines to offer Business and First class upgrades for up to 75% less. There’s a catch though because all you’re doing is buying an upgrade that might or might not clear before takeoff. If you don’t get the upgrade, your money will be refunded. I’ve used Optiontown in the past and have gotten an upgrade from MEX-SCL for $254 which is a major steal. I used Optiontown a few hours before my MEX-SCL flight was scheduled and it cleared within the hour.
I have an upcoming flight in March from MEX-LIM on Aeromexico and wanted to see what my Optiontown upgrade price was. I selected Aeromexico, entered my PNR , Last Name, and E-mail address.
I was presented with an option of upgrading to Business Class on MEX-LIM for a whopping $102.
I was floored when I saw this price because I thought the previous deal of $254 from MEX-SCL was a steal. I did not hesitate to submit my upgrade request.
However, there are some rules:
1) Upon completing UTo Sign-up, you
a. cannot opt out of the UTo program and cannot change any of the selected UTo Class;
b. authorize Optiontown to upgrade you, at the sole discretion of Optiontown; and
c. have agreed to pay UTo Sign-up Price and Upgrade Price. UTo Sign-up Price is Non-Refundable. If you are not upgraded to the selected class in a flight by Optiontown, Upgrade Price for that flight will be automatically refunded within 5 business days after the flight departure.
2) In the event Optiontown upgrades you to any of the selected UTo Class,
a. you will be entitled to all the facilities associated with your UTo Class except frequent flyer miles (miles will be allocated as per the Economy Class);
b. all passengers in a booking reference number (PNR) shall be upgraded together; and
c. you will be informed about the upgrade on the email address provided by you.
3) You need to contact your airline if you desire to make changes or if your airline makes any changes to your flight before/after Optiontown upgrades you. In all such cases, normal policies of your airline shall apply. In the event you make any changes in your itinerary, Optiontown may choose not to upgrade you.
There’s even an added bonus on the payment page. It says that you can get Aeromexico Preferred seating (exit row, bulkheads, economy plus seating in the forward cabin) for FREE in the event that your upgrade doesn’t clear.
After my payment went through, I received some more terms and conditions.
1) A detailed email regarding UTo Sign-up will be sent to your email address shortly.
2) Upgrade decision will be emailed to you normally between 1-3 days before flight departure and at least 4 hours before flight departure. You may also check your upgrade status by visiting www.Optiontown.com or with your airline at the airport. We advise you to wait for your upgrade decision before you check-in for your flight, as it might impact your upgrade decision.
3) All prices (in UTo) are per passenger. If you are not upgraded to the selected class in a flight, the Upgrade Price for that flight will be automatically refunded within 5 business days after the flight departure.
4) You should always check the latest flight schedule with your airline before your flight departure.