The recent Expedia Trip-a-day giveaway gets me thinking. Has anyone just decided to go somewhere crazy and booked tickets the day of departure without any other plans?
I was thinking about doing the same if I had about a week off. I would have the following rules:
- Pick a destination I haven’t been too that’s in a different continent. I think going to Canada or Mexico or Caribbean from the US, for example, would be too easy.
- You can start booking flights (award or paid) at 12am local time (to leave in the morning or afternoon)
- Open jaws allowed so you can visit 2 or more countries.
- Minimum stay of two nights so you cannot fit it into a weekend. Suggestion would be a full week.
- Optional rule: Book a flight on an airline that you do not have status in. This would be especially interesting if it was a paid ticket.
- Bonus points: Don’t book the ticket until you get to the airport (like the last scene from the movie “Up In The Air.”
I am considering some other rules, like having a local specialty for all three meals, and having to visit a certain number of tourist attractions when you get there. This would reduce the likelihood of booking it as a MR instead of a true last minute trip.
Do any full time travel bloggers do this on a daily/weekly basis? Just pick up your backpack and go explore another continent?