Today, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide launched its latest top-tier brand – Sheraton Grand – in hopes that it will further enhance the broader Sheraton brand.
Initially, Sheraton Grand will have 10 properties, primarily in Asia, though it will have one in Rio de Janeiro and one in Edinburgh. The brand is planning a larger rollout over the next two years, with an additional 50 properties to come online by the end of the year, and a further 50 by the end of 2017.
What specifically makes an existing Sheraton become a Sheraton Grand is a bit unclear, as the re-brand came without any obvious financial investment or renovation to the properties. According to Sheraton’s press release, Adam Aron, interim Starwood CEO said, “Sheraton Grand celebrates our standout hotels and helps us further reinforce Sheraton as a trusted voice in global travel.”
The initial Sheraton Grand hotels announced as of the time of this article being written are:
- Sheraton Grand Bangalore Hotel at Brigade Gateway
- Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel
- Sheraton Grand Hotel Dubai
- Sheraton Grand Edinburgh Hotel
- Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort
- Sheraton Grande Ocean Resort
- Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit
- Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel
- Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel
- Sheraton Grande Walkerhill
The announcement of the Sheraton Grand brand is one component of the Sheraton 2020 strategy which proposes to:
- Introduce New Sheraton Brand Positioning • Reinvigorate Sheraton with a new vision to define and crystallize what Sheraton stands for as a brand • Create a new visual identity for Sheraton that incorporates our current, iconic logo • Enhance the digital experience and develop compelling content;
- Turn Heads, Change Minds, Deliver Guests: $100 Million Sheraton Marketing Campaign • Roll out a multichannel global advertising campaign, beginning in 2015 through 2017 • Execute the richest Sheraton-focused SPG promotions in Starwood’s history • Ramp up media buzz and social strategy to meaningfully engage consumers across all channels;
- Launch Sheraton Grand • Elevate 100+ premier Sheraton hotels to new Sheraton Grand tier to better match guests’ expectations, showcase Sheraton’s best properties and create a halo effect across the portfolio • Focus first on global gateways to lure high-value travelers and create a worldwide network • Encourage more owners to renovate properties to achieve new Sheraton Grand stature;
- Earn Owners’ Confidence in Sheraton • Laser-focus on revenue and profit-driving initiatives and programs to boost owner value • Balance building and conversion costs with exceptional guest experience • Reevaluate brand standards and fee structures to improve owner economics;
- Ignite Associates’ Passion for Sheraton • Enlist Sheraton General Managers as leaders of change on the frontlines • Connect Sheraton’s people to new brand vision and their role in bringing it to life
- Get Service Right at Sheraton. Every Day. Every Time. Everywhere. • Maniacal – and consistent – focus on excellence in service delivery, including cleanliness, condition of rooms and responsiveness to guests • Inspire and incent our hotels to reach new Guest Experience and Quality Assurance goals • Tackle lowest-performing hotels, move the middle, and learn from the top;
- Reclaim Sheraton’s Status as THE Meetings Brand • Become go-to brand for top planners and customers – take back group share • Kick off global customer blitz; amp up booking rewards and incentives
- Innovate the Sheraton Guest Experience. Continuously. • Offer unique and imaginative premium sleep, entertainment, fitness and bath experiences • Invigorate Food & Beverage – more relevant, more profitable • Unleash the potential of Sheraton Club;
- Differentiate Sheraton through Design • Transform public spaces and guestrooms through smart, intuitive, forward-looking design • Leverage lobby design to drive revenue;
- Strengthen Sheraton by Opening 150+ New Hotels by 2020 • Through conversions, adaptive re-use and new-build projects, develop the right properties in the right markets with favorable returns for owners and their investors • Create a flexible new-build product that enhances hotel profitability in secondary and tertiary markets.
What are your thoughts? Are you interested in checking out a new Sheraton Grand property?