You’ve worked all year collecting points & miles and now it’s time to use them. Let the nightmares begin! Booking award travel – even for an avid traveler like me – can be an ordeal. Luckily, booking hotels is a whole lot easier than booking airline award tickets.
Each year, I plan a major trip for December. This year, I’m going on a girls trip to South East Asia with 3 other women. Booking air travel is the most painful part of the annual trip. Every year I spend hours pouring over flight options, comparing routes, searching the ANA website (for Star Alliance award flights) before finally calling US Airways to book. I usually spend anywhere from 1 hour to upwards of 3 hours on the phone with one, or more, US Air agents trying to nail down the perfect itinerary without breaking the points bank.
This year, I couldn’t stomach the idea of spending that much time on the phone and on the internet planning this trip (not to mention the fact that I didn’t really have time due to a very crazy schedule.) So I started looking for Award Booking Services. I found that several boarding area bloggers offer this type of service. I decided to ask Gary aka View From The Wing for assistance. Gary’s service Book Your Award was a great way to go. Instead of having nightmares, within 24 hours I had an amazing itinerary. The process was so easy! Answer some questions, provide Gary with your points/miles info, and away you go! Now, normally Gary will call the airline and book the award for you, but I decided to call on my own. With the itinerary Gary planned, I called US Airways (Chairman Preferred line) and spent no more than 20 minutes on the phone start to finish. Now, if you’re not calling an elite/preferred phone number, you might opt to have Gary call so you can avoid longer wait times.
So what did Gary help me book? I booked a 25 day vacation to some of the most exotic and exciting locations in South East Asia. I spent 120k US Airways miles to fly all but 1 segment in First Class (there’s one segment in Business on Singapore Airlines)
- I’ll fly from LAX to PEK (Beijing, China) on Air China in first class (thanks to @JohnMooreNow for helping me confirm that the Air China flights are in the new lie-flat first class configuration!) From PEK I’ll fly onto SIN (Singapore) on Singapore Airlines in first class (not a suite). I’ll spend 5 days in Singapore. Two nights at the St Regis Singapore and 3 nights at the Sheraton Singapore Towers.
- From Singapore I’ll fly to Langkawi, Malaysia. I’ll spend 4 nights at the Sheraton Langkawi Resort. From Malaysia I will fly to Cambodia and spend 3 nights at the Le Meridien Angkor Siem Reap, Cambodia. From Cambodia I’ll fly back to SIN for 1 night – have no idea where I’ll stay yet. (NOTE: The flights on this portion of the trip were not booked using miles)
- From Singapore I’ll fly to Bangkok on Singapore Airlines in Business Class (the only business leg of points ticket I booked). I’ll spend 3 nights at the St Regis Bangkok and 2 nights at the Sofitel Sukhumvit Bangkok. Christmas Eve Dinner at L’Appart at the Sofitel.
- From Bangkok I will fly to Vietnam and spend 3 days in Ho Chi Minh City at the Sheraton Saigon Hotel & Towers. From Vietnam, I will fly to Krabi, Thailand and spend 3 nights, including NYE, at a hotel TBD (NOTE: The flights on this portion of the trip were not booked using miles)
- Finally, I will fly back to BKK from Krabi to start the journey back to the US. I will fly from BKK to PEK on Thai Air First Class. I will then fly from PEK to LAX on Air China First Class.
- Your comment must include your dream destination and the reason its your dream destination
- You must post your comment on the blog post only to be entered to win this prize
- You must have a Hilton Honors account – it is free to sign up for a Hilton Honors Account
- Deadline to enter is Sunday June 24 at 5pm EST
- You must reside in the US to be eligible to win