Every year, SPG members vote on their favorite resorts. The voting is category based and the categories as things like best exotic escape, best beach resort, best family experience, best island paradise, and so forth. This year I was one of the members (who I assume are randomly selected) to vote on their favorite resorts. Only 2 of my favorites actually made it to the list.
In the exotic escapes category, there are some very appealing resorts and I’d love to visit all of them. However, I don’t think it’s realistic that I will get to all 12 of these resorts, so I’m going to set a new goal, visit 10 of 12 in the best exotic escapes.
So let’s look at the first 6. From top left
- The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa, Fiji – I visited the Westin Denarau in December of 2011 and had a lovely time there. The hotel was in need of some renovations, but that project had begun and was well under way. I’d love to go back to see what they did with the renovations of the rooms and for the amazing Wagyu beef burger that they served in their ocean side restaurant called Moo Moo. It was one of the best burgers I’ve everhad
- The Grand Mauritian Resort & Spa, Mauritius– This resort, located in the middle of the Indian Ocean is one place I haven’t been and would love to visit. It looks amazing!
- Le Méridien Fisherman’s Cove – I’ve been trying to get to the Seychelles for some time now. The biggest detractor in my mind is the terrible exchange rate for the US Dollar. The resort gets great reviews and the area looks absolutely amazing – after all, the Prince William and Kate vacation in Seychelles.
- W Retreat & Spa – Maldives – a private island located south west of India, this W has been on my hit list for quite some time.
- The Naka Island, Phuket – I’ve had the opportunity to visit Naka Island several times now and each time found some reason not to go. Now I’m quite torn about visiting Naka. I stayed at the Le Meridien Koh Samui earlier this year and discovered that I really don’t love outdoor bathrooms. The Dir of Marketing for the LM Koh Samui told me that the Naka Island is even more outdoors than the his hotel! I have requested info from the hotel, and what they sent made me unsure about visiting. Perhaps one night? I’m in Thailand a lot so it’s a good possibility
- The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort – I really want to visit the St Regis Bora Bora! First, I love St Regis Hotels and second, who wouldn’t want to go to Bora Bora! I’m sure I’ll cross this one off the list soon.
Now for the second 6. From top left
- The St. Regis Bali Resort – Bali is on my list of places to visit soon. I’ve been dying to get there and if I go, I’ll certainly stay at least 1 night at the St Regis.
- Le Méridien Angkor – I have reservations for Dec 2012 at the Le Meridien Angkor and can’t wait to visit. I’ll have a full trip report to follow!
- The St. Regis Lhasa Resort – this one is going to be a little bit tougher given the visa requirements. I’m hopeful that the US will start handing out APEC Business Travelers Card so I can start visiting China for both business and vacation!
- Le Méridien N’Fis – This hotel, located in Marrakech, looks like a great desert get-a-way. I’m not too keen on the desert – I prefer the beach, so I’m not sure I’ll make it here.
- Sheraton Jumeirah Beach Resort – I may have an opportunity to visit Dubai next year, and if I do, I will make time to check out this resort. It looks amazing
- The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal – having been to the Westin, I can confirm that it does deserve to be on this list. It’s a beautiful resort worth the visit.
So I’ve been to 2 of 12 so far and will cross one more (LM Angkor) off my list this December. Looks like I’m going to have to start planning some more trips!
Where would you like to go?
Note: photography courtesy of SPG Website